Welcome Dawn to the CrossFit Naples staff!
She has been working with us since last month to help make us run more smoothly. We can’t do it on our own and neither do we want to. Our dream has always been bigger and better. Having Dawn on our team is paramount for the continued growth and success of our amazing community! What better way to introduce Dawn than with an athlete spotlight!
1. Hometown: Naples, Florida
2. Age: 33
3. When did you first start training at CF Naples?: March 2012 as a guest to a Saturday workout at Lowdermilk Park.
4. Favorite WOD: This was a really hard question: I really like all of the WOD’s. I actually look forward to 7pm to read each day’s blog and to see the next WOD.
5. Least Favorite WOD: If I had to pick it would have to be any workout with Overhead squats in it. The movement is not a natural feeling to me so I just need to work on the proper alignment.
6. Tell us about you sports & fitness background: There is not much in my background regarding sports and fitness. I was never a really active person in sports. I enjoy riding horses and four wheelers on the weekends. In 2001, I started playing softball a few nights a week with a group of friends.
7. How did you first get exposed to CrossFit? I went with my friend, as a spectator, to a mud obstacle course and had decided I wanted to try something outside of my comfort zone. I knew I needed more upper body strength and Chris Knudsen had just started CrossFit and was at work going on and on about the coaches and the classes she was attending with such excitement. So being a little curious I figured I couldn’t lose anything by giving CrossFit a try.
8. Take us back to your first WOD… what was it, and how did it feel? My first WOD was at Lowdermilk Park on the volleyball courts. We had a 3 person relay race across the 2 sanded courts with each person having to do a different kettlebell swings during each heat. There were three 10 minute heats each. I’ve been addicted ever since.
9. What sort of changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CF (before/after)? I have definitely gotten stronger, faster, and do see a lot of muscle changes throughout my body. I believe CrossFit has helped to improve my mind and self confidence awell.
10. What sort of changes in your life have you experienced out of taking on something like CrossFit that were totally unexpected? I have come to really enjoy working out and being a part of CrossFit Naples, I was part of a gym a few years ago and honestly did not feel I was structured enough and therefore lost interest rather quickly. CrossFit Naples is completely different and has opened my eyes to health and fitness; I thought I would never be so interested and involved with a gym.
11. Please share with us any favorite CrossFit / CF Naples moments: All moments at and with CrossFit are my favorite. I have accomplished so many PR’s and goals that I just want to keep improving. I must say getting to the top of the unknotted rope and doing a pull-up unassisted does top the cake…Paleo cake of course!
12. Any advice for people just getting started? Be open-minded. Don’t let fear take over you. Just give it a try.
13. What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit? I still enjoy four wheeling and have added 5K’s and mud obstacles whenever possible.
Dawn crushing the “Baseline” workout.
Monday’s Workout (cap)
400 m Run
30 Back Squats 115/75
400 m Run
20 Front Squats 105/65
400 m Run
10 Overhead Squats 95/55
Post total time.
Skill of the week: Overhead Squat